January 15, 2014

What I Heard

I happened upon some great music in 2013.

Most notably:



I first heard Explosions in the Sky on the soundtrack for Friday Night Lights.
I have a terrible time remembering lyrics. 
To me, they've never been the most important part of music - I listen to the whole thing.
That means that it's not necessarily what the words are saying, 
but the way they sound combined with the music.
That may not make a lot of sense.

I've never tried to articulate it really.

The point is, Explosions in the Sky don't have lyrics. 

Every time I say that he says "you mean it's instrumental"

but for some reason, I don't think of it as instrumental. 
It's music without lyrics. 
It says everything
with no words.
Call it what you will.

I just bought "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place" on vinyl
and it's gorgeous.
Watch out.
It might make you cry.



Dead Man's Will
by Iron and Wine and Calexico

I don't fully "get" Iron and Wine. I've listened to a couple of his albums and I'm either not in the right headspace when I do or it's just not my thing.
This song, again, heard on the Friday Night Lights soundtrack - killed me.



Dan Mangan
Album: Nice, Nice, Very Nice
Song: Road Regrets.

Not sure where I heard this one but I'm glad I did.




The Low Anthem
Album: Oh My God, Charlie Darwin
Just listen to it. 
With this one - once I got past how beautiful the overall sound was, 
I did really listen to the lyrics and I was much the better for it.
Should I try to learn from that?



Sigur Ros
Everything.

I really fell in love with Sigur Ros this year.
I went to see them in concert in the spring and I felt like a teenager again.
You know how when you're a teenager things cut right through you 
and you seem to feel everything really intensely?
That's how I felt.
The concert was amazing.
(Another band with no discernible lyrics.)


Dave Baxter
Whispers

Those are just a few.
I know I like the sad songs best
but there you go.
Take it how you will.

This post wouldn't be complete if I I didn't mention the creation of Indie 88.
I think that they are what a radio station should be.
They make me want to listen to the radio.
They play music that I loved years ago and also now.
I've discovered new music because of them and found old loves that I'd forgotten.
Heaven.

What shall we discover in this new year?




No comments: