August 05, 2013

Happy Belated Birthday, Blog.

I'm a couple of days late
but this blog turned four two days ago.

Where does the time go?

This has been a strange summer - have I said that already?

The weather, the plans, the highs and lows and general confusion
it's not like the usual summer.
There's been a lot happening and not a lot I really want to talk about.

But here's what I will talk about -
I'm trying to write more
to use my 642 Things to Write About
and in doing so, figure out what I want to say
and what my voice sounds like
(it's always familiar but still hard to pin down.)

What I've learned so far is that fiction is the hardest.
I can take a question or comment or idea and apply it to my own history. Make it relate.
But it's really hard for me to just make stuff up.

I'm trying to not be afraid of that difficulty.
To say that I'm just writing to write, not to always say something.
(but it's still really, really hard.)

So if I get over that anxiety, I'll share some of those stories here.
And see what comes of it all.
Because in the end, even if it's crap, it feels good to being doing something.
Just putting pen to paper.

No comments: