Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Courage Canada Blind Hockey Tournament 2013

On Saturday night we went and watched Blind Hockey.

Yes - that's right.

The hockey players are legally blind.

The organization was started by Mark Demontis.
He was diagnosed with Leber’s Optic Neuropathy  in 2005 and became legally blind.
He played AA hockey
but his condition ended his career.

He soon discovered blind hockey and joined the Toronto Ice Owls hockey team.
In 2008, he founded Canada Courage Hockey for the Blind so that youth who are blind or visually impaired have the same opportunity to learn to skate and play hockey that he did growing up.

You can read the rest of their story here because they can tell it way better than I can.



Here's what I can tell you.

Fella called me from work on Saturday afternoon and asked me if I wanted to do something different that night.
How about Blind Hockey?
he said. 

?

But since I'm usually up for most anything,
I said
sure why not?

And I'm so glad we did.

I think everything should go to events like this.
Because words like
"I can't"
are not heard.

It was an exciting game.
I forgot the players were blind much of the time.
They are tough
and they are capable.

They were amazing.
I could never play as well as they did.

Courage Canada relies on donations to keep going.

So if the fancy strikes you,
or if it's just for the love of the game
 you can donate here.


1 comment:

SemiCleanSlate...In Progress said...

Wow! What a great thing. Sounds like a great evening out. Id gladly donate to this cause.