January 22, 2013

Beware of Documentary Review Overload

We took the plunge.
We bought memberships to Bloor St. Cinema
We figured it was a safe bet -it was our second documentary in a month so it will pay for itself pretty quickly.
($33 for a year.$8 tickets. Popcorn upgrades!)

Last night we went to see:


It's a documentary about Ginger Baker, an incredible drummer who, quite frankly
was/is a bit of a nut.


He was also into heavy drug use for many years.

but, as with many music types
was a total genius
who revolutionized drumming.

He played for bands like Cream
(who's music I've never cared a fig about)
 and his talent is unmistakable. 
Raw.
real.
heartfelt.

It was great.
I've come to realize that even if I don't like the music of a particular band
it's still really interesting to learn about the people who made the music.

I guess that's why I like documentaries.
I'm all for make-believe
but sometimes it's nice to come back down to earth
and learn something new.
And eat popcorn at the same time.





No comments: