Wednesday, December 12, 2012

time out

I stayed home from work yesterday because I had the flu.
I actually think that my brain made my body sick because I'm riding my last bit of patience to the brink
and I'm getting close to snapping at the wrong person.

I really was sick. 
It started with a sore throat.
Ironically, my sore throat started while I was getting a massage.
Maybe it was because I was relaxing for the first time in a while
so the ickies started to ooze through my relaxed innards.

Who knows?

By the time I got home
I felt wretched.
I went to bed at 9pm
woke up the next day at my usual time
and staggered downstairs to get my computer, email my boss and head back to bed.

I woke up a few hours later and felt much better.
But I was resolved to do as little as possible.
What should I do?

I did what any slightly ill person should do.
I watched this:


Oh I know.
But it was perfect.
I had very little, well, anything going on upstairs in ye old brain
and there's not a whole lot to think about when you watch these movies.
In fact, I think it's better if you don't think a lot.

In a way, it was a mental health day
and I know myself well enough that once in awhile, I need a time out.
And it can't be a regularly scheduled time out
it has to be a work day.

I felt better by the afternoon.
The sore throat was gone 
(I also drank a ton of water, 
which I'm sure helped since I'm secretly convinced that drinking water will fix everything.)

And when I went back to work today
I felt almost invigorated
(that's a stretch, really. I was actually just slightly less grumpy than usual)

But I was able to focus and get a lot of work done
so the sick day was the best day I've had in weeks.

I have just over a week left of work and then I'm off for two weeks.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to it?



No comments: