December 28, 2012

is anyone else as disappointed by this book as I was? (and other concerns) a.k.a. Is Everyone Hanging Out WIthout Me? (and other concerns) by Mindy Kaling


Sometimes not having cable means that I don't get pop culture references.
Yes I know that most people don't even watch tv anymore. 
They just look up everything online.
I'm on the computer all day at work so I don't spend a lot of time online at home.
Everyone has their limit.

So I'm thinking that maybe part of the reason I didn't find this book that great is because I didn't get all of her references.
But at the same time, I don't think that's entirely it.

I think that she's funny.
And that she's smart
but at times, I found that her humour went for the easy mark
and that made it less clever than I like.

I was disappointed
but if you love Mindy Kaling, you might get more out of it than I did.
I have never watched the American version of The Office because I don't think you can top the British version. 
Why would I bother? 
There is no one who can succeed at awkward and uncomfortable the way Ricky Gervais does.
I like Steve Carell
but he's no Ricky Gervais.

America needs to stop with the remakes and come up with some ideas.
Surely they haven't entirely run out of originality.
But that's a story for another day.





No comments: