Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


Ah high school.

Loved and Disdained by all
sometimes simultaneously.

I don't know a lot of people who loved high school
I think it's s struggle for most
in one way or the other.
There are times that everyone feels left out
that age can be cruel 
and the transition from childhood to adulthood 
can be painful and confusing.
For those of us who weren't what everyone wanted to be in high school,
we remember things differently.

We watched
and tried to understand 
why people did what they did.
As adults, you still see the same kinds of behaviours
founded in insecurity and a need to belong
or be on top.
But for those of us who never expected to be on top,
we saw things differently than most.

Charlie is kind of naive but he is smart and honest.
And once the light of two lovely people shine upon him
he is recognized for how wonderful he is.

But of course, this is teenagedom
and even Charlie makes some mistakes in finding his way.

This is a sweet, heartbreaker of a story
and I don't think I could have fully appreciated it when I was in high school
(if it had been written yet. but you know what I mean - yes?)
but I can now.
I am sentimental for some of my teenage years -
 for the wonder I felt
and the possibility of it all.
And the feeling of
"In that moment
we were infinite."

Yes.

No comments: