August 07, 2012

walk the line

On the weekend we went up to Lake Simcoe / Keswick to go for a bike ride along the Lakeshore.
It was really, really hot
so we didn't last that long
but on our way back to where we'd parked the car, we happened upon a sign that said
"Labyrinth".

Interest piqued, we made our way up a little path
and found this:


I've never thought of myself as a "nature person" 
but there was a peacefulness to this place that reminded me of the bike trail in Quebec.

There was a sign that said that people had gone to this place 
to pray for 3500 years 
(I'm not sure if they meant that actual labyrinth or labyrinths in general) 
Now I don't pray
but I could see why others would.
It was quiet
and it smelled really, really good.
And the shade was a welcome relief from the hot sun.

There's only one way in
and only one way out
and it takes awhile to walk the path
(so you're tempted to cheat and skip to the middle)
but taking the time to walk it the right way
(as I made fella do)
gives your brain time to calm down
and change focus
(at least it did for me.)

At the centre there are stumps in the circle
so you can rest and reflect.



So if you're in Roches Point,
and looking for a little mental break
check it out.

P.S. I tried to look up it's location and discovered that there are a lot of labyrinths in Ontario
so you don't have to go all the way to Keswick,
http://labyrinthnetwork.ca/locator.htm

Who knew?






No comments: