July 17, 2012

Memoirs of A Beatnik by Diane Di Prima


And now for something completely different.

I picked this up at a secondhand bookshop
and thought it looked interesting.
I used to read Jack Kerouac
actually saw Allen Ginsberg read once
and even still didn't think I understood a lot about being
a beatnik.

I guess I do now.
At least,  I know what Diane Di Prima's sex life was like.

The back cover of this book said it was 
:A witty, sexy beat novel from one of the movement's most accomplished writers." 
Sounds good, yes?

Well - 
it's kind of a sex book.
There's a lot
(and I mean, a lot)
of very graphic sex in this book.
It's the kind of book 
where you start to read it on your way home on the subway
and you kind of hope no one reads over your shoulder because you're on page two
and it's already gotten into it.

So now that I've gotten that out of the way
is it any good?
It's kind of interesting.
You have to remember what era it is
and how different a lot of things were back them
(and a lot of things that weren't)
so it's a good snapshot of a time that I have scarce understanding about.

It's short and a quick read.
But overall, kind of forgettable.
I'd say it's probably better written than those Shades of Gray books
so if that's the kind of thing you're looking for
then this might be just the ticket.
(I don't think I'll be reading those, by the way.
I think they make The Da Vinci code look like fine literature.
And that just isn't the way I want to spend my reading hours.)

I'll leave this one to you to decide.
(just don't leave it out for the kiddies to peruse!)






No comments: