January 23, 2012

hello monday

Well it's Monday again.
How the weekends fly by.

Here's what we got up to:

Went to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on Friday.
It was good.
I really enjoyed it while I was watching it
but I realized the next day that it didn't stay with me.
I didn't think about it after it was over.

But that's ok.
I was entertained.

I was also entertained by the commentary by the more "elderly" patrons of the movie theatre.
There was one group who, on several occasions, liked to whisper at the screen
as though the characters would hear them and change their plans.
"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, SPY!" they whispered,
one by one,
 in the loudest stage-whispers I've ever heard.

Then at the end, the couple behind us had a little chat.
The wife said to the husband,
"did you understand it?"
"Not at all", he said.
Then she proceeded to try to explain it to him.
And I'm not sure that she got it entirely right.
Ah well.

On Saturday we cleaned and cleaned.
There were still remnants of Christmas that had to go.
And so they did.

Then we went to Maggie's on College St. for brunch


It was blissfully quiet for once.

We then decided to poke about Kensington Market because it was a sunny day.
Cold, but sunny.

Went into Bikes on Wheels.
I need a new bike.
Mine is about - oh - 17 years old and, frankly, it kind of sucks.
So this spring
a new one will be coming my way.

After bike shopping
we wandered across the street, attracted by a store called
and intrigued by the sign that said they sold vinyl and Japanese Art.
Interesting combination.

I've never had the slightest interest in Japanese Art but once I started looking at the paintings, I started to appreciate how beautiful they are
And they are really, really old.

This is the one I was really tempted by:

"Suzume (Sparrows) by as yet known artist, painted between 1750 and 1850. Remounted 20th cent. Good old sumi-e (ink). 23″ x 80″ – $250"



This photo is from their shop's website.
It doesn't reflect how gorgeous it really is.
Did you see in the description above?
Painted between 1750 and 1850.
Old.

If we weren't going on vacation next month
I would not have hesitated.

The owner of the store told us all sorts of stuff about the paintings and what the symbols mean. It was fascinating.
If you're down in the market, check them out.
Great store.
Fella bought two records.

On Sunday we went to the Antique Market at St. Lawrence.
I picked up a couple of things.
I'll take pictures and post tomorrow.

And that was the weekend!

It was busy but we got lots of stuff done and I felt rested when I woke up this morning.

Happy Monday!

What did you get up to over the weekend?

Hmmmm?

P.S. I'm almost done Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
I can't put it down!




No comments: