January 05, 2012

New Love: Vivan Maier

Last night I read an article in the Globe and Mail about a photographer named
Vivian Maier.

She was a nanny who lived in New York and Chicago

and she took thousands and thousands of photographs.


She never showed them to anyone.


They are amazing.



She also took tons of self-portraits.


I admit I'm biased because I love this style of photography.
I think it's the spontaneity of it that I love.

Walker Evans and Robert Frank are a couple others that were similar
but they were better known in their day.

If you're lucky enough to be in or going to New York, there's an exhibition going on now at the Howard Greenberg Gallery.

There's also one in Los Angeles at the Merry Karnowsky Gallery starting this weekend and running until January 28th.

You should go.

Do it for me.


I wanted to give you a link to the Globe Article but I can't find it on their website.
Stupid Globe and Mail.










No comments: