January 04, 2012

In with the new goal #4: move it

As I've mentioned a bunch of times, I started running in the fall.
Then I hurt my hip and could do nothing for weeks.
And I felt like a lump for most of November and December.
But it's a new year and there has been change brewing.

Maybe it's because I couldn't work out that I really wanted to.
Maybe it's because I really feel like garbage if I don't keep moving.
My back hurts, my legs hurt, I don't sleep well.
My insides and my outsides feel old.

So when thinking about these goals, I wanted to figure out a way of doing it in an attainable way.
So here's what I came up with:

(at least) 3 workouts per week
I've cleared a little space in our basement and I've got a bunch of workouts from Fit Chicks that require no equipment except for a yoga mat and some dumbbells. Check. Easy.
The workouts are only 20 minutes each but I've been adding on more abs and extra cardio (mostly consisting of me dancing around. )
Dancing is fun!
I also watched a lot of Glee over the holidays and am feeling inspired.
The workouts are good and well rounded and I have 6 different ones so as we did with bootcamp, I try to do something different each day.

Go for a 30 minute walk during my lunch break, at least 3 days per week
I am terrible for eating my lunch at my desk, which means that there are days when I never leave my office for the entire day. This is very unhealthy - both physically and mentally. Even if it's freezing, it's better to get outside and clear your head and get away from the office (and the people in it!) Oh and it's a little bit of exercise.

That's kind of it.
Simple, right?
Sure - ask me in February.
That's the hard part, really. Keeping at it.
But here's what I've done.

I've set up a binder to track my workouts (again using a chart from Fit Chicks (love those chicks!) You write down what you're doing and what your plan is for the next day. I've also taken my (eep!) measurements and weight so I can track my progress. I have even (ack!) taken photos of myself (I really can't believe I did this) so I can both remember what I want to change and see what I have changed. (Please note: Those photos will not be going up on this blog. I struggle enough with just knowing they exist. Gah!)
I've also written letters to myself via FutureMe. There will be one coming in about 8 weeks, then 3 months, and so on. I love FutureMe. It's a great way to remind yourself of how you feel and what you are hoping for. A way of getting you back on track when you've lost your way.

This is not weight loss goal.
It's about feeling good and I know that if I keep this up and do lose some weight, then the good feelings will be there.
It's so complicated, really. It's not just about numbers. It's about accountability and taking responsibility for yourself.
Life doesn't usually turn out the way you think it's going to.
But I still want to feel proud of who I am and what I've accomplished.
Even if it's not even close to where I thought I would be.
It doesn't mean it's a bad place.
It isn't. I have a good life.

I just want it to be better.

Tally-ho!

No comments: