January 03, 2012

In with the new goal #3 - style

When I was a young'un, I was pretty daring when it came to fashion.
I loved Vogue
I tried to copy looks from the magazine
(since the clothes weren't exactly available in Dartmouth in the 1980's)

I wore vintage before it was cool (or even vintage, for that matter. It was just second hand. There's a great second hand store in Nova Scotia called Frenchy's. We found some amazing stuff there.)
I wore a men's tuxedo jacket that was amazing.
Vintage purses, camel hair and houndstooth coats.
Hats!

Remember when you were young and would go out in the winter dressed in clothes that would in no way block out the cold?
And you didn't care because you looked damn good.

In the past few years, I've become pretty conservative. I guess it's because I work Monday to Friday, 8-4 in an office job (something I never imagined I would end up doing.)

But you know what?

I feel conservative.

I feel kind of frumpy too.

It's not good.

So guess what?
That's going...

Out with the old, of course!

So how do I get around this without replacing my whole wardrobe?

well that's where

In with the new...
comes in!

I think it can be done with little things. That's what everyone says.

Bright red lipstick.

A new hairstyle - cutting my hair short was a big move for me but lately all I see is lovely long hair and I want in. So -why not? If anything, it's harder to cut your hair short than to grow it out so off we go!

A scarf to brighten up my perpetually grey wardrobe
(I love grey, it's my favorite colour, but really? I need to not wear it every day or multiple shades of it. It's a bit too....grey)

Wear heels.

Wear leggings, perhaps. Can you believe it? I have not been able to bring myself to wear leggings because it's a case of "been there, done that" for me. I wore them when I was a teenager and can't re-do it. But maybe I should! Maybe I will. I'll have to work up to this one, folks....

There are lots of other things.

I'll keep you posted.

Time to look at things differently, I think. Use my former self as an example.

Could be fun!





No comments: