October 14, 2011

Lowenstein...I mean...Beach Music by Pat Conroy

When I realized that Pat Conroy also wrote "The Prince of Tides" I started feeling a little... judgy towards Beach Music.

I haven't read "The Prince of Tides" but I did see that awful movie with Barbra Streisand and Nick Nolte.



This movie came out in 1991. That was not a good year for me, I admit.
But I went to see it with  2 of my sisters in hopes that it would be a fun outing for "the girls".
I had a hard time staying in my seat because I couldn't stand looking at long shots of Barbra's legs and uber-long fingernails. ugh.

The final voiceover of the film was Nick Nolte saying
"Lowenstein....Lowenstein...."
Why I remember this, I cannot say.
Probably because it was so schlocky and melodramatic that it cemented my resolve to never watch another Barbra film again because it was only a vehicle to encourage her mammoth ego
(fella actually saw her once in "real life" and claims that she is absolutely beautiful in person.


I don't care.
I still think she's an ego-maniac.
and yes -she had great legs in 1991 but I don't want to look at them anymore.)

Needless to say - I hated it.


So let's get back to the matter at hand.....

Beach Music by Pat Conroy.
This book is over the top.
It's ridiculous.
I'm sure lots of readers enjoy it for the story
but the story is SO unbelievable
that I just couldn't stomach it.
(and you must remember - The Time Traveller's Wife is one of my favorite books so  for me believability rests on the skill of the writer, not the subject matter.)

I couldn't get through it.
I didn't care what happened to Jack or his daughter or his crazy mother.
I didn't want to find out why everyone was the way they were.

I
just
didn't
care.

So I pitched it.
(not really. It's still sitting on my desk.)

I cannot recommend this book, nor will I ever read one of his again.
It's just too much.

I just wish I could get that bloody Nick Nolte out of my head.

Lowenstein....Lowenstein....


(P.S. I admit that I chose that picture over others because Nick Nolte looks kind of pathetic. It's not far off from how he was throughout the entire film.)

No comments: