August 23, 2011

Aberfoyle Antique Market

Yesterday we went to the Aberfoyle Antique Market.



This telephone chair cracked me up.
Love the bow.

I wasn't looking for anything in particular

but it ended up being a windfall.

I'd been wanting to replace my IKEA wine glasses for quite some time.
You know the ones, I think they go for $4.95 for a box of 6?
They don't exactly compliment the wine. In fact, they are rather loathsome.

I'd looked at other wine glasses but they were all so,

plain.

Modern?

Yesterday I lucked out.
I spied these babies:



(it's really hard to photograph glass. I guess because, you know, it's see-through...)

They are in great condition. They may not have ever been used, in fact.
I asked the seller how much she wanted for them because there was no price on them.

$6.

Fella and I looked at each other.
We were both thinking
"Each"

but I thought I'd chance it and ask:

"for all of them?"

She shrugged:
"Yep."

Clearly I don't have a taste for high end antiques
but that's ok by me.

I love these glasses.

The other item I decided I needed some time ago
is a citrus reamer.
I have one that you hold in your hand
but I love the look of the old Pyrex ones (big surprise there!)
But, of course, as this summer as progressed and I have squeezed many a lemon, I've realized I needed one that would separate the seeds.
Oh , and I didn't want to pay a lot of money.

Then I spied this:





It's perfect. It has dots on it (and I love dots!)
and these teeth to block the pesky seeds from joining the lovely lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit juice.

The price?

$23.

Too much.
I asked if she could do a better price.
She said $20.

I knew it wasn't much of a deal but I loved it so I went for it.
I kept saying how I'd never seend one like it before.

And then, just before we left
(and the torrential rain started)
I saw one at another booth.
$12.

Boo.

Ah well. You can't win them all.

My third wonderful find was a batch of letters.
They were correspondence of a woman named Anne Schreiber.

She was with the WRNS in 1944
and she was stationed in Cornwallis, Nova Scotia.
Her family was in Galt, Ontario.

Apparently the collection contained hundreds of letters.
I read a few and fell in love.
The guy wanted a ridiculous price for them
$10 per letter!
but I ended up buying one that had three letters inside the envelope
(It was like that when I found it, I swear!)
The guy's assistant gave it to me for $5.
It's from 1944.
My favorite part of the letter?
When she asks her mother to order her a lipstick refill -
Elizabeth Arden - Victory Red.
She also asks them to send her black silk stockings and her burberry.

That's what I love about antique shows - you never know what you're going to find!

And Anne, if you're out there, thank you for the letters. They are magic.



1 comment:

Maggie {Okay, now what?} said...

Beautiful Glasses! So classic.