June 22, 2011

Slice of life

Some of my favorite moments are just that - moments. Brief, like a flash, but they stick with you long after they have ended.

I had one this morning.

I had just arrived at my office
and closed the door so I could take off my bike shorts
(a must when wearing skirts and biking to the subway in the mornings.
Plus, very convenient on gusty days.)
It was dark in my office
and kind of dark outside because it's a gray day out there
I saw two men walking towards each other, at a distance, on the sidewalk.
One suddenly started to speed up.
The other noticed and did the same.
Then, they both broke into a run.
They ran towards each other at top speed,
one slight, all dressed in white, with dark, dark skin
the other, heavy and gleaming white bald head - dressed in a black tshirt and jeans

racing towards each other.

The guy in white took the lead - his bag slung across his chest, lurching this way and that as he ran.
He took a sharp right, turns the corner,

baldy is catching up

He continues his sprint
and reaches a door.

Baldy catches up.

They guy in white opens the door
and they look at each other and burst into laughter.

I can't hear them
but I can see them go.

They were racing each other to work.
And I thought,
they do this every day.
Two grown men - trying to beat each other.

It was hilarious.
And it was a good way to start my day.



1 comment:

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

That is really cute. Boys will be boys, as they say!