February 03, 2011

Green Goodness

I don't eat enough leafy greens.

I buy them and they are left to perish in my crisper.

And I am subsequently flooded with guilt.

Awhile ago, I read a post by the lovely Meg.
She said that she had broken down and tried
"The Green Monster."

It looks vile.
It's bright green.
and has two cups of baby spinach in it.
and I'm not much a vegetable juice lover
(well, I do like V8 but no carrot or beet juice for me)
but when I saw that it has vanilla almond milk and a banana in it too,
I thought it was worth giving it a try.

So off I went to the grocery store on the weekend.
I looked for a small container of baby spinach
but no, only enormous vats were to be found.
So I pledged that if I didn't like the Green Monster, I would eat this entire container of spinach.

Lucky for me -
it's delicious.

And I know that it's probably all in my head that I feel better already after having it for breakfast 3 days in a row.
But I don't care.

Because I know that:

A. It is good for me.
and
B. The power of the mind can be a good thing.

So there you go.

Give it a whirl!

Recipe:

2 cups of baby spinach
1 banana
1 cup of vanilla almond milk (I use the sweetened kind to give it a bit of extra sweetness but you can also buy unsweetened
1 tbsp flax seed

ice.

Stick it in a blender
and watch it transform.

Drink it up.

Feel good.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

i don't eat enough green food either...maybe I will fry up spinach with dinner tonight!

hmmm...better start planning dinner, actually

Here is a tasty veg to try, instead of potatoes...or alongside them:

Roasted Fennel:
2 bulbs fennel
2tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
sprinkle of kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper


trim fronds and bottom of fennel
cut each bulb into 6wedges
arrange on parchment paper baking sheet
cook in pre-heated 425 oven for 25-30 mins, or until tender

Jane's Next Door said...

Oh that sounds good. I love fennel! I sometimes cook salmon with chopped up fennel and red onion and lemon juice. I love the anise flavour of fennel. mmmmmm....